Saturday, June 02, 2007

Australia Day 2: Sydney and Bacio



I didn't spend long in Sydney as I was just in town for a conference and an asset tour. There is one place in Sydney that I just Have to go back to though, even when I haven't the time. Thankfully, it's in a very central part of Sydney, so it's entirely possible to pop by between some hectic meetings.



This place is Bacio, a great little coffee stall in the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) run by an Italian family. They make the most mouth-watering flat whites and since I was in Australia, I just couldn't resist, despite running a slight sore throat, a coffee everyday, twice a day... and some good old banana bread and vanilla slices.



I would have loved to spend even another day in the city and I wanted to go to Sydney's neat fish market and to the fantastic Japanese counter restaurant Sushi-e but I could only manage to squeeze in a drink with a friend at bar at the Establishment Hotel, as I had to be awake very early the next morning. The Estblishment Hotel, pictured below, is sited right in the CDB and houses a aching-hip-and-overpaid type open space bar on the first floor, Sushi-e, probably my favourite Japanese place in Sydney on the second floor and a posh private dining space called Est. If you're ever in town, Sushi-e is not cheap but it's worth it and you need to try the Morton Bay Bug handroll. Good enough to start a revolution!

No comments: